Deadline: August 16, 2019
The Lea Faraone Memorial Scholarship is dedicated to the memory of Lea Faraone, who passed away from complications of cystic fibrosis in December 2018 at 28 years old. She was a powerful voice in the cystic fibrosis community, a fierce advocate, and was loved and respected.
Lea loved to travel, so to honor that, the Lea Faraone Memorial Scholarship will support students with cystic fibrosis who plan to study abroad through their (or a partner) university. Applicants should be willing to talk about their cystic fibrosis, participate in community advocacy, and work to empower others living with cystic fibrosis to do the same! Above all else, the Lea Faraone Memorial Scholarship celebrates people living with cystic fibrosis who are willing to live their lives on their own terms!
The BEF Scholarship Program committee considers the applicant’s scholastic ability, character, leadership potential, service to the community, and need for financial assistance. Once candidates have been selected as semi-finalists, they will be granted a phone interview with a committee member.
Applicants are required to provide all of the following documents in order to be considered:
- Discuss the way(s) you advocate for the cystic fibrosis community.
- Discuss why you are interested in studying abroad and how you plan to remain compliant during your travels.
- Recent photo
- Letter from physician (on letterhead) confirming CF diagnosis and therapy routine as well as confirmation that applicant is healthy enough to take part of a study abroad program
- Letter from school confirming study abroad plan
- Transcript (high school, college and/or graduate school)
- Detailed breakdown of tuition costs related to studying abroad from academic institution
- W2 form for both parents OR tax return if self-employed