In the last installment of The Path Forward with CF series, Dr. Megan Sykes, Director of the Columbia Center for Translational Immunology (CCTI) and Director of Research for the Transplant Initiative at Columbia University Irving Medical Center/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, sat down with Jerry Cahill to explain what her team is working on in the world of immunology research.
- What are they studying in the CCTI?
- Manipulating the immune system to accept transplanted organs.
- To prevent rejection and infection in transplant recipients.
- What are the long-term goals?
- Creating a method for inducing tolerance in post-transplant patients so that they don’t have to take lifelong immunosuppressant drugs which will decrease infection, cancer, and other side effects of those drugs.
This video podcast was made possible through an unrestricted educational grant from Columbia University Medical Center and the Lung Transplant Project.