The Boomer Esiason Foundation has awarded prestigious “Sacks for CF” academic scholarships to 30 outstanding students with cystic fibrosis.
Under the Sacks for CF program, Abbott makes a donation to BEF’s scholarship program for every quarterback sack recorded during NFL Monday Night Football games. Through the BEF/Abbott partnership, Sacks for CF funds are then awarded to college students with cystic fibrosis based on academic achievement and adherence to daily CF therapy.
This year, BEF awarded $180,000 in Sacks for CF scholarships. The names of the top 10 winners were announced February 5 by Boomer Esiason during Westwood One’s radio broadcast of the Super Bowl.
The top 10 Sacks for CF scholarship winners for 2011-12 are:
- Oliver Banham – Marina, Calif. – Saint Mary’s College of California
- Ashley Downing – Guthrie, Okla. – University of Oklahoma
- Taylor Fisher – Black Mountain, N.C. – Gardner-Webb University
- Logan Georgeson – Lyndon Station, Wis. – Edgewood College
- Matthew Hayes – Richmond, Texas – Sam Houston State University
- Connor Lewis – Moorhead, Minn. – University of Minnesota at Morris
- Tyler Lynch – Livonia, Mich. – Michigan State University
- Ryan Matthews – Cumming, Ga. – University of Georgia
- Aubrey Stewart – Olathe, Kan. – Pittsburgh State University
- Michelle Thrun – Glenwood Springs, Colo. – University of Colorado at Boulder
“While our ultimate goal is to find a cure for cystic fibrosis, we know that the 30,000 Americans living with the disease need assistance in the here and now,” Esiason said. “The Sacks for CF scholarship program is one way BEF and Abbott are addressing the day-to-day needs of people living with CF.”
The Boomer Esiason Foundation is “very proud of the other Sacks for CF scholarship winners,” Esiason continued. “Dealing with this disease is tough, but they’re living, breathing proof that people with CF can lead full and productive lives.”
For more information about the Sacks for CF program, please visit www.SacksForCF.com.